Thursday, May 16, 2013

Real reason why I chose to lose weight

So on a rainy day today. I decide to come clean on why I decided to embark on a weight loss journey.

Many people come ask me why, why I suddenly decided to go on a diet. My answers to them is pretty simple, at work, people ask me to join the Lose To Win program. So I decided to go on my own one to prove that I can do better.

But that is not the real reason why.

I got called into reservist about 2 years back. 2 PDF, 612 SIR. Wah lan infantry leh. This is coming from a storeman last time.

It has been a good ten years since I ORDed from the army. Pretty daunting experience. the whole regimentalism, the cold showers, the drop soaps (ok that didn't happen). I had pretty much forgotten how to even put on my SBO or fold a smart 4. But those aside. The first thing I had to do was run.

RUN!

It was something I had forgotten how to do. I was fat, at my best? 140kg of pure fats. So I had to run. I could drop out since I was a Pes C2L2. But the stubborn one in me said, just do it. Run like Gump. Whats the worst that could happen.


The worst did happen.

I had a mild heart attack half way through the 5km run. I started feeling breathless. Then the pain started in the chest. I couldn't move and had to assisted to rest in a corner.

I be honest, the Army is the worst place to be sick or whatsover. I was stuck in the my camps medical centre for a good few hours, before transported to another army medical centre. They took my ECG using a very old machine, half the time the medic was trying to figure out how to use it. I could have died honestly.

The results from the old ECG machine looked bad, the MO that saw to me in the second medical centre said I could have died! I didnt trust him. He looks like someone who would over exaggerate things.

So another good few hours has passed. The run took place in the morning. By the time I was sent to NUH. It was past midnight. PAST MIDNIGHT! I might as well be in the mortuary by then.

So finally I saw the doctor. He checked me on another ECG (a more high tech and better one) He ascertained that I had a mild heart attack and gave me like 2 weeks mc and said I was too out of shape.

I then had to go back camp and endorse my MC and wait for things to happen. By then I had mentally given up. I was then told that I was to be transferred to HQ to do clerk work. Aircon, no need to go outfield, shiok what right?

So I walked into the clerk room and the moment I opened the door, saw the situation, walked out and went up to my OC and said I want back.

I didn't like what I saw. Reason was my job is already desk bound, why would I want to spend another 2 weeks away from work doing the same thing?

So I made up my mind to continue to work it go through the trainings and train myself up for it as well.

There you go. I am infact hoping to maintain and keep it up till I finish my reservist. How is that going to be? I don't know. Lets see, too many good food in Singapore for me to commit.

I still hate the cold showers though.

2 comments:

Krisandro said...

Lose the weight, keep up the exercise and your heart will thank you for it!

Testdrive said...

Thanks Kris, you were always an inspiration.