Monday, May 20, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

Just a quick clarification, I am and always will be a Star Wars fan. Never really got into Star Trek, nothing excites me and I found it boring. But the new JJ Abrams re make of this series piqued my interest. Going into the cinema watching the first one in 2009 with an open mind helped.

I loved the first movie, the story, the chemistry between Pine and Quinto as Kirk and Spock respectively was amazing. So when the sequel was announced, I was pretty excited.


I wasn't disappointed this time, JJ Abrams delivered again, the chemistry of the star fleet was amazing, the whole movie was well paced and had no boring moments. Well certain parts seemed to jump a bit fast here and there but overall it was the storyline flowed nicely. The addition of Benedict Cumberbatch (aka Sherlock Holmes) was a powerful one. He played the role of John Harrison perfectly.

I guess it is safe to reveal it now. When the role of Cumberbatch (I actually like saying this name, I could say it over and over again) was announced, everyone speculated his role to be of Khan, but Abrams denied. Honestly no one could imagine Cumberbatch wearing this


Turns out the speculation was right, John Harrison was indeed Khan Noonien Singh. Khan was a formidable enemy in the original Wrath of Khan and Cumberbatch played this role comfortably and was amazing in it.

That being said, I was kinda irritated with the appearance of original Spock. I think the time travel reference should have stayed in part 1 and ended there.

One thing to note about the ending was that in the original Wrath of Khan, instead of Kirk dying, it was Spock. They even had a funeral for him which led to the third movie Search for Spock. But with the remake. Abrams switched the role to have Kirk dying with radiation poisoning.


This was very well played as it brought out emotions in Spock. I had goosebumps when Spock shouted Khans name in anger. I was afraid that the third movie was Search for Kirk, but lucky it wasn't.

Honestly if you were never a fan of Star Trek or hated it, watch it with an open mind, you will be surprised how good it is.


Special mention to the soundtrack by Michael Giacchino, it was amazing, every note heightened the exciting parts in the movie. I added the soundtrack to my iPod playlist. Amazing movie, Now I have high expectations of Star Wars.

Abrams had better not fail.

On another note, check out this funny ad commissioned by Audi starring Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy


0 comments: